THE MIND

Thursday, July 21, 2005

Of nightmares and murders

They say that when you dream of murder (witness, committed), it means that you are putting an end to old habits or beliefs. It may also mean that you are trying to kill a part of you, or a part of you is dying. It also means that you are trying to repress anger in your waking life, and our dreams become the outlet.

I have been dreaming for the past couple of nights that I was witnessing a murder. First was the murder of a young woman, second the murder of a young man, and the last, a murder of a little girl. The last one was a bit different though. Instead of me just witnessing the murder, I was trying to protect someone. This was the dream:

I dreamt that I was babysitting a little girl. We were having a stroll, then I saw a corpse (another little girl). The little girl that I was with, I was trying so hard to protect her from the sight. I covered her eyes so she wouldn't see it. As the dream went, I had the overwhelming feeling that I had to protect this girl and I don't want anything bad to happen to her.

As I was thinking about this, it occurred to me that about a few days ago, I had a revelation about life. Free will is an illusion. You see, I'm a cynic at heart. I believe that for every smile that I get, sadness will ensue. So everyday that I live my life, I am very careful. Careful to do everything because I don't want to make mistakes that will lead to sadness. Then I find out that no matter how hard I try, if something's meant to happen, it will happen. If it's really meant to be, then no amount of free will is gonna change that.

I dream of murders because a long-time belief has been disproven, and somewhere inside of me, something is dying. Though still, some part of me is trying keep it alive.

2 Comments:

  • Actually, dreaming of murder only implies putting an end to old habits if you're the one committing the murder in your dreams. You're witnessing the murders here, however, so I think that it wouldn't apply.

    Dreaming of witnessing a murder represents the fact that you're angry at somebody or something. Would witnessing successive murders mean that you're angry at more than one person? I'm not sure on that one. Were you able to recognize these victims, or were they unknown to you?

    That you were babysitting a little girl later on is an indicator that you want to preserve some sort of childlike quality of yours. The corpse represents a part of yourself that has died, or that you have kept hidden for a long time. Protecting the little girl, however, notes that you're putting up an emotional barrier between yourself and others in order to do so; You have something that you don't want to let anybody else know, I think.

    All in all, I would guess that you're trying to defend yourself from some inner quality or past experience - something that you've kept hidden. (That might be the old habit you're referring to.) You feel that you want to keep this away from your current self, but in doing so, you're creating an emotional rift between yourself and others.

    This is somewhat complex, but you're getting multiple images that mean the same thing, so I think I'm on the right path here.

    Is everything all right over there, Willow? Do you think you can handle this on your own, or do you need any help?

    By Blogger Sean, at 10:20 PM  

  • Sean, I am sorry that it has taken this long for me to respond. I was caught off-guard on how well you interpreted my dream that I got scared. It scared me that I might be putting myself out too much, and I felt vulnerable.

    To answer your question, no, I didn't know the people in that particular dream.

    For the other things that you mentioned, e.g., anger, rift between me and people... I really don't know. It might be that, but I'm not sure. To tell you the truth, as time passes on, I am becoming more emotionally numb that I wouldn't know if I feel angry at someone.

    Thank you for your concern. To tell you the truth, even if I needed any help, I wouldn't know how to ask. Though, it's nice to know, that people like you exists.

    By Blogger Willow, at 6:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home