THE MIND

Thursday, April 06, 2006

Natural Selection

Have you ever seen "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind?" It's one of my favorite movies. It's about a guy who had his memory selectively erased. He did this so he can forget the pain of heartbreak. The procedure was successful alright, bbbuuut... His past had come back to hunt him and bit him in the ass. Now, this woman whom he wanted to forget is now in his life again and you know what happens next.

You know, I could'a written that story. There was a time in my life eons ago where I wanted so bad to selectively erase my memory. But you know, if you try really hard to forget stuff, it actually works. There were moments in my everyday life where I see something and it kinda makes me stop dead in my tracks and think "that looks familiar." It's kinda like an amnesiac having to remember things.

But I don't recommend "forcing" yourself to forget things. You tend to forget the other happy things that came with the "painful package." Sometimes people ask, "Hey do you remember the time...blah, blah, blah. Wasn't it fun???" With a blank stare in my eyes, "Are you sure it was me who you're with? Coz I don't remember a damn thing." Then of course, the other person gets insulted.

If I was the doctor in the "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind," I'd highly recommend my patients to go far, far away from where they are right now. Move to a different country for Christ's sake. Then maybe, just maybe, you'd be a new person without the painful memory burden. But whattabout destiny? What if you are destined to have that thing have happened to you? Coz that's what the movie told me. You can't escape your destiny. So is there such a thing like "You are the master of your own destiny." Or you are a prisoner until destiny dictates what you ought to be?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home